Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Nativity Story

The girls, their godmother, and I went to see the Nativity Story the other night. I so enjoyed it. We have a tendency to make the story fairy tale like. I was glad to be reminded of the hostile time period of the Jews unrest with Rome. How the villagers probably treated Mary and Joseph. Today, I taught the Sunday School Lesson to the jr. High girls about the signs of the Messiah. One of them - the virgin birth- was prophesied in Isaiah. So why didn't people believe Mary? Had other girls used this excuse earlier? What faith and trust in God to walk this road alone. No one believed, even Joseph had to be convinced in a dream, and yet God provided Mary with Elizabeth - an older lady - who could walk by her side. The movie also portrayed a lot of the hardships Mary and Joseph probably endured on their way to Bethlehem, and yet God was with them. My spirit was so refreshed and encouraged by this film. Not everything was accurate, but I found myself in an ongoing conversation with God. I praised him for his provision for the family who was to raise his son. I felt encouragement as I visualized how Mary found strength in God in the midst of the trials. Just because she was caring His son, didn't mean everything was rosy. The battle in the heavenlies of the enemy trying to rid the world of God's provision, and yet he was defeated. If you get the chance to watch this movie, you should. There is reality in the unjust treatment of the Jews and the killing of the Jewish boys, so I would't recommend it for young children.

1 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger PandaMom said...

We are going out on a DATE (woohoo!) on Thursday to Christmas shop for PandaGirl and then to see the Nativity. I am REALLY looking forward to it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home